Saturday, April 13, 2013

4/8 training update


Heading up to East San Bernardino Peak (photo: Charlie Marquardt)
       Last weekend I climbed East San Bernardino Peak via the Momyer trail, with the intention of then making my way over to the western peak and back before returning down to Forest Falls. But while the snow has melted off that south-facing trail, the ridge top was covered in deep snow drifts, obscuring the trail. I skirted the snow to get to the east peak, but because I'd gotten a later start, I didn't feel I had enough time to make it over to the western peak and back. I'd not brought a light with me, and certainly not enough food/water/clothing to spend time after twilight. Too bad, since my plan is to traverse these at night (the first peaks of the 24), and will feel better if I have some sense of the path beforehand.
       There's still so much to be done between now and May 24 that I suspect I'll need to take some days off from work to be fully prepared. Being prepared is essential for something like the 24n24, both for a successful completion and for safety. There will always be unknowns and variables to the best laid plans, weather being the most obvious. For that, some plans cannot be set in place until a few days ahead. If it's looking like a bad storm is going to hit, then I'd have to postpone for several days (or perhaps until the following full moon). If light rain potential, then some additional clothing will suffice. If it looks like the sky will be clear, with temps in the 80s or more up top the ridges ...well, I'll have to have already have enough water cached to take care of hydration. I'm not worried, but I'm definitely starting to give my attention toward these sorts of things. They run through my mind these days.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment